Financial Aid Services

We're Here

A college education is among the most valuable investments a person can make, and many students rely on financial aid to help with the expenses. Our staff can assist you in filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and accessing records to discuss your financial need with you.

To be considered, you must complete a FAFSA application at, which is available every year starting October 1. 

Financial Aid disbursements are processed after Certification Day each term, beginning late September, late February, and late June. Completion of requirements by the student must precede disbursements of funds. After Certification Day, the Financial Aid office sends disbursements to the Student Accounts office. Refunds, if applicable, will be issued to the student by the Student Accounts office.

For a step-by-step guide, follow the Financial Aid Application Checklist.

To begin planning how much you might need, review the cost of attendance (COA) budget for the current academic year.

2024-25 FAFSA Information



Students and their families should create FSA IDs at up to three days before beginning the FAFSA.

The following people should create an FSA ID:

  • Student
  • Student’s spouse (if married but they did not file taxes as Married Filing Jointly in 2022)
  • Parent (of Dependent students)
  • Parent Spouse (if married but they did not file taxes as Married Filing Jointly in 2022)
  • Other Parent (if both parents are divorced but living together)


When does the FAFSA Open?

The 2024-25 FAFSA is open! The FAFSA can be completed online at  If you and your family need help completing the FAFSA, please reach out to the Financial Aid office at (785) 460-4679.   


FAFSA Corrections

If you submitted a FAFSA for 2024-25 and need to make corrections, you will be able to access your submitted FAFSA in March.  The actual date is to be determined by the Department of Education.


We understand that many students have other financial obligations that make affording tuition a challenge. That's why we offer a wide variety of resources.

To process your financial aid in a timely manner, all documents should be submitted by June for fall classes, by November for spring, and by March for summer. If you are unable to provide the appropriate documentation by that time, your financial aid could be delayed.

Federal Grants

Federal Pell Grants (PELL) are basic entitlements funded by the federal government that do not require repayment. This program is designed for degree-seeking undergraduates who do not have a bachelor's degree, and it serves as the foundation for other forms of aid. Eligibility is based on financial need determined by a federal funding formula, using the student's cost of attendance (COA), and the number of credit hours in which the student enrolls each term. Pell grants are available for eligible students display exceptional financial need and are enrolled in an eligible program.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG) -- are basic entitlements funded by the federal government and the college that do not need to be repaid. Eligibility is based on need and availability of funds. FSEOG funds are campus-based; and therefore, limited funds are available.

Federal Work Study

Federal Work Study (FWS) provides employment opportunities that enable students to earn money to fund their education. Also campus-based, FWS awards are based on documented need and availability of funds. This program encourages community service employment and work related to the student's course of study. To the extent possible, CCC will attempt to provide employment that complements and reinforces the student's educational and vocational career goals. FWS salaries are determined by their supervisor and earnings are restricted to the amount of the award. Students employed through FWS will be paid on a monthly basis. Read more information on work-study positions at CCC.


Loans are not gifts or awards; they must be repaid in full. 

  • Subsidized Stafford Loan: based on need. Payments are due after meeting one of three criteria: less than 6-credit hour enrollment in one semester, leaving college or college graduation. Once one of these three criteria are met, there is a 6-month grace period before payments are due to your loan servicer. The federal government covers interest charged until payments are required.
  • Unsubsidized Stafford Loan: for students who do not demonstrate financial need through the FAFSA application process or for independent students who require additional funding. Payments are due after meeting one of three criteria: less than 6-credit hour enrollment in one semester, leaving college or college graduation. Once one of these three criteria are met, there is a 6-month grace period before payments are due to your loan servicer. Interest accrues to the student upon disbursement.
  • Parent Loan (PLUS): for dependent students. This loan is issued to parents and requires a separate loan application  It must be repaid in monthly payments beginning 60 days after full disbursement and interest accrues from date of disbursement.


For questions regarding scholarships, contact the Scholarship Coordinator at  785.460.4677.

Veterans Benefits

Veterans may qualify for special tuition benefits. Find more information here.

Processing financial aid generally takes between four and six weeks, but can vary. Factors that can impact the speed of this process include:

  • The time of year when the FAFSA is submitted and received by the Financial Aid Office (peak application times impact processing).
  • The time it takes all official transcripts to be received by the Registrar’s Office and Admissions Office (allow time for processing by both offices).
  • The student's response time to complete and return all verification documents, if selected.
  • The student's response time  to complete and submit the award letter and loan request form to the Financial Aid department.
  • Completion of the Master Promissory Note, and online Entrance Counseling.

The U.S. Department of Education requires Colby Community College to define and administer Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards for students receiving Title IV Federal Financial Aid. Students receiving Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, Federal Work Study, any W.D. Ford Direct Loan Programs, and/or any other federal or state aid must meet the following standards to ensure that only those students demonstrating satisfactory academic progress toward the completion of their educational programs continue to receive aid.

The standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress measure a student’s performance in three areas: cumulative completion rate, cumulative grade point average, and maximum time frame. Satisfactory Academic Progress will be measured at the end of every payment period. Notification of failure to maintain satisfactory academic progress will be mailed to the student’s permanent address at that time.

Cumulative GPA

A student must also maintain a 2.0 cumulative grade point average. A student failing to meet then cumulative GPA standard will be placed on warning for the following payment period in which the student is enrolled. A subsequent payment period of unsatisfactory progress will result in suspension of aid.

Get Started Today!