Student Complaints

In accordance with the U.S. Department of Education Program Integrity Rule, 34 C.F.R. Part 600.9, Colby Community College has a process to review and respond to student complaints. The college seeks to resolve all/any student complaints in a timely and effective manner and adheres to procedures for resolving academic and non-academic concerns. Steps, timelines and resolution processes are addressed through administrative procedures described in detail in the academic catalog, policy manual and student handbook.

For assistance on complaint processes, please contact the college using the contact information below:

Nikol Nolan
Vice President of Student Affairs
1255 South Range
Colby, KS 67701
(785) 460-5490 

Consumer protection and/or fraud complaints may be filed with the Kansas Attorney General’s office at

Discrimination complaints may be filed with the Kansas Human Rights Commission at

Complaints regarding State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) courses delivered by
SARA member community colleges may be filed by students enrolled in those courses with the Kansas Board of Regents office at

Colby Community College is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC). Complaints regarding an institution's ongoing ability to meet the Criteria of Accreditation may be filed by following the guidelines at

Board of Trustees

Colby Community College was created as authorized by and in accordance with state law by action of the community it serves. The college is a political subdivision of the state and has taxing authority. By statute, CCC has an elected board that governs the college and answers to its constituencies, and this state-created trustee board handles all/any student complaints that cannot be resolved through college administrative procedures.

It is expected that students will fully utilize college administrative procedures to address complaints. On occasion, however, a student may believe these administrative procedures have not adequately addressed concerns. If after exhausting all available institutional resources a student’s complaint remains unresolved, the student may make a complaint to the CCC Board of Trustees, in writing, by completing and submitting a board complaint form.

The board will acknowledge receipt of the complaint within 10 business days and determine if additional information is required. The board will communicate their plan to the complainant(s) for investigating and resolving the complaint. The board will send a written response, typically within 45 days of receipt of the complaint, explaining the investigation and the resolution. Complainant(s) will receive an update if the investigation and resolution takes longer than 45 days.

If a student has questions pertaining to a complaint made to the CCC Board of Trustees, please contact the Office of the President at (785) 460-5400.